In addition to providing day care centres for children, we also offer a range of courses and a unique training programme to parents, caregivers and professionals who engage with children with disabilities and (intellectual, developmental or physical) delays. This programme is endorsed by experts from several universities.
START Traning Programme
Is an indigenous, unique training programme developed by the Sunshine Association. It is a practical and hands on course presented by qualified trainers. The course is based on normal development for the age group 0 - 4 years. START offers an excellent training course for care-givers, teachers, au pairs who would like to get into this field of caring, educating and supporting children with special needs. START is also an invaluable course to send your domestic worker or nanny on to get her skilled in working with your special child.
• 3 day course for people with level 4 qualification
• 5 day course for people with a qualification below level 4 or matric.
On completion participants will be able to:
• Clearly understand developmental areas
• Be able to assess and determine areas of difficulties or delays
• Know how to stimulate children, especially in areas of difficulties or delays
• Be able to structure an intervention programme with activities and home care programmes.
• Be empowered to help children with disabilities and developmental delays reach their full potential.
The course is endorsed by the following people:
Dr Gill Lloyd – Wits School of Education (University of Witwatersrand)
Prof Lorna Jacklin – Principal Consultant Paediatrician (Johannesburg Hospital)
Prof MP Koen – Chairperson: Telematic School of Nursing (North-West University)
Prof Marie Poggenpoel – Nursing Science (University of Johannesburg)
We are a dynamic progressive and innovative non profit organisation committed to the development of children with disabilities, intellectual/developmental or physical delay. We focus on early intervention in the field of intellectual disability and offer diverse services on many levels.
Contact Person: Shannon O’Keefe
Physical Address: 87 Waterfall Avenue, Craighall, 2196, Johannesburg
Telephone No: +27 11 268 0710